If you enjoy eating out, have an eye for detail, and love to write, we invite you to become a food and drink writer for our digital magazine.
Who we are
Oxford Digital is a team of diverse commercial, creative and technical professionals passionate about helping our clients use digital technology to grow sustainably and inclusively.
With almost 2 million annual pageviews, our media brand – The Oxford Magazine – is fast establishing itself as a leading online magazine curated for people who live, work or play in Oxford or across Oxfordshire – whether they’re locals, new in town, or just passing through.
You can read more about The Oxford Magazine here.
As a result, we’re increasingly inundated with invitations from local restaurants, eateries and bars looking to have feature or review pieces published in the magazine to engage with our growing local audience.
And that’s where you’ll come in.
What you’ll do
As a freelance food and drink writer
- You’ll attend new restaurant openings, menu launches, special themed nights, invitations by restaurants, tasting sessions, food festivals and trade events.
- You’ll also interview local food and drink industry leaders and/or their representatives.
- You’ll then write about the experience in an engaging and informative way – from overall presentation, service experience and food flavour to Q&As and such.
- Finally, you’ll supply original photography to accompany the review or liaise with the venue to secure the usage of their photos.
What we’re looking for
As there are no formal academic qualifications required to perform this job, we’ll be looking for you to demonstrate:
- A flair for the written word in the form of original, focused and engaging written copy.
- A good understanding of creative penmanship and language expression in culinary writing.
- The ability to clearly and consistently appraise a restaurant and its service and menu offering.
What we’re offering
More often than not, the remuneration is a free meal or a selection of drinks at the establishment – for you and a guest. However, we’ll consider making the occasional exception for the right person/people – paying on a “per word” or whole article basis.
How to apply
If you’re interested, email your details to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include samples of your work, either as a portfolio or links to published works.