If you enjoy eating out, have an eye for detail, and love to write, then we invite you to consider becoming a freelance food and drink writer for our digital magazine.
Who we are
With over a million page views annually, The Oxford Magazine is fast establishing itself as a leading online magazine curated for people who live, work or play in Oxford or across Oxfordshire. You can read more here.
And as a result, we’re increasingly inundated with requests from local restaurants, eateries and bars looking have feature or review pieces published in the magazine in order to engage with our growing local audience.
And that’s where you’ll come in.
What’ll you’ll do
As a freelance food and drink writer
- You’ll attend new restaurant or menu launches, special themed nights, invitations by restauranters, tasting sessions, food festivals and trade events.
- You’ll also interview local industry leaders and venue representatives.
- You’ll then write about the food presentation, service experience and food flavour in an engaging and informative way.
- Finally, you’ll supply original photography to accompany the review or liaise with the venue to secure usage of their own photos.
What we’re looking for
As there are no formal academic qualifications required to perform this job, we’ll be looking for you to demonstrate:
- A flair for the written word in the form of original focused and engaging written copy.
- A good understanding of creative penmanship and language expression in culinary writing.
- The ability to deliver a clear and consistent appraisal of a restaurant and its service and menu offering.
We’re particularly interested in people with unrelated jobs or working in other fields of journalism to pay the bills, whilst looking to make a name for themselves as writers, food critics or reviewers.
What we’re offering
Most of the time, the remuneration is simply a free meal or a choice of drinks at the establishment for you and one other person. Ideal, if you’re looking to build your portfolio.
However, there are times when we make exceptions for the right person/people – paying on a “per word” or whole article basis, based on experience. We’ll let you know beforehand.
How to apply
Email your details to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include samples of your work (either a portfolio or links to published works).